A trolling rod is a rod used for the sport of trolling, where one or more baited lines are drawn through the water behind a boat. The term may also refer to the fishing method of trolling, where bait is drawn through the water to attract fish. Trolling rods are designed to be used with various fishing techniques and are often used in saltwater fishing.
If you’re looking for the best saltwater trolling rods, look no further! We’ve compiled a list of the top rods on the market, perfect for trolling for fish in saltwater environments.
Top 7 Saltwater Trolling Rods Compared
|Fiblink Saltwater||Check on Amazon|
Bluewater Conventional Rod
|Shimano Talavera||Check on Amazon|
|Fiblink 1-Piece Saltwater||Check on Amazon|
All Roller Guide Boat Rod
|EatMyTackle Saltwater||Check on Amazon|
|Fiblink Bent Butt||Check on Amazon|
Best Salt Conventional Rod
|St. Croix Rods Mojo||Check on Amazon|
Best Heavy Roller Rod
|Fiblink Saltwater Trolling||Check on Amazon|
1. Fiblink Saltwater Offshore Rod – Best Overall
The Fiblink Saltwater Rod is the best overall rod for saltwater trolling. It is made of high-quality materials and is designed for durability and strength. The rod is also very sensitive, making it ideal for trolling in saltwater. It is perfect for heavy offshore trolling and will give you the results you need to catch big fish.
Whether you’re an experienced angler or just starting out, the Fiblink Saltwater Offshore Rod is the perfect choice for putting maximum pressure on big fish. The top-quality, extra-tough E-glass blank is designed to handle the biggest fish, while the heavy-duty roller guides minimize strain on you and your line. The aluminum alloy reel seat keeps your reel in place without corrosion, and the aluminum gimbal provides a considerable advantage in keeping the rod butt solidly planted in the fighting belt to minimize fatigue during prolonged battles. The EVA foregrips give you added comfort and a solid non-slip hold against hard-pulling fish. The package includes a rod protection bag, making it a perfect gift for the angler in your life.
- E-glass graphite composite blanks for extra strength
- Heavy-duty roller guides for minimal line wear
- Aluminum alloy reel seat for durability
- Parabolic taper for maximum pressure
- One-piece design for easy transport
- Saltwater approved for offshore fishing
- High-density EVA foam handle for a comfortable grip
- Reverse knurling nut for a stronger ond
2. Shimano Talavera – Bluewater Conventional Rod
If you’re looking for a quality saltwater fishing rod that can handle trolling and conventional fishing, the Shimano Talavera Bluewater Conventional Saltwater Fishing Rod is a great option. These rods are made with high-quality materials and construction and feature a number of Shimano’s signature technologies for enhanced performance. The Talavera series is also backed by Shimano’s limited lifetime warranty, making them a great choice for serious anglers.
The Talavera Bluewater series of rods are designed for a wide array of offshore fishing techniques, from light trolling to deep-dropping. The rods are constructed with durable blanks and quality Fuji, Aftco, and ALPS components, providing anglers with strong, long-lasting performance. The rear grips on the rods are available in a variety of styles to suit angler preferences, and the series includes two deep-drop models. No matter the technique or the target species, the Talavera Bluewater series of rods has an offering that will exceed angler expectations the next time they head offshore.
- Available with Fuji, Aftco and Alps Guides
- Available with Fuji or ALPS Reel Seat
- Re Grips Options: Slick Butt, EVA, ALPS Aluminum Butt
- Two Deep-Drop Models Available
- Durable blanks
- Variety of powers and actions
- Quality Fuji, Aftco and ALPS components
- Strong and long-lasting performance
- Withstands harsh conditions
3. Fiblink 1-Piece Saltwater Rod – Best Budget
The Fiblink 1-Piece Saltwater Offshore Trolling Rod is the best budget rod for saltwater trolling. It is maIf you’re looking for a good budget trolling rod for saltwater fishing, the Fiblink 1-Piece Saltwater Offshore Trolling Rod is a great option. It’s made of high-quality materials and is designed specifically for saltwater fishing. Plus, it’s comfortable to use and has a good grip.
The Fiblink Fishing Tackle Roller Rod is a high-quality, sensitive rod that is perfect for deep bottom fishing for groupers. It features a composite fiber main shaft for superior sensitivity, a smooth polished line protecting stainless steel roller guides, and an aluminum alloy reel seat with corrosion-resistant aluminum hoods. The Fiblink Fishing Tackle Roller Rod also has a multi-purpose hook keeper and all-aluminum cross tail.
- Solid glass fiber blank for incredible pulling power.
- High-density EVA handles for a comfortable, nonslip grip.
- Aluminum alloy reel seat with corrosion-resistant hoods.
- Multi-purpose hook keeper for convenient storage.
- All-aluminum cross tail for strength and durability.
- Rubber tail sleeve for added comfort and grip.
- CNC-machined aircraft-grade alloys for strength and precision.
- Classic design for easy use and maneuverability.
4. EatMyTackle – All Roller Guide Boat Rod
Looking for a good trolling rod that can handle saltwater fishing? Look no further than the EatMyTackle Boat Rod! This rod is specifically designed for saltwater trolling, and its all roller guide design ensures smooth trouble-free performance. Plus, its durable construction can handle the rigors of saltwater fishing, so you can be sure it will last for many fishing trips to come.
EatMyTackle Boat Rods are the perfect choice for offshore trolling and fishing for Dolphin, Wahoo, and Tuna. Machined from aircraft alloy for strength and sensitivity, these rods meet or exceed all IGFA standards for big game competitions. Black fiberglass blanks with royal blue and gold trim give these rods an unmistakable look of quality, while the EVA foam grip ensures a comfortable and secure hold. Individually wrapped in a protective Eat My Tackle rod cover, our boat rods come with a two-year warranty against defects in materials and workmanship.
- Composite fiber main shaft for superior sensitivity
- Anodized aluminum reel seat
- Cross-cut aluminum gimbal butt
- 6 super smooth rollers for easy use
- Durable hardware that keeps it looking good
- Perfect for offshore trolling and fishing for big game fish
- Meets or exceeds all IGFA standards
- Black blanks with royal blue and gold trim
- Individually wrapped in a protective Eat My Tackle rod cover
5. Fiblink Bent Butt – Premium Choice
If you’re looking for top-quality saltwater trolling rod, the Fiblink Bent Butt Fishing Rod is a great choice. Made from high-quality materials, this rod is built to last. It’s also designed for maximum comfort and performance, with an ergonomic handle and a bent butt design that makes it easy to fight big fish.
The Fiblink Bent Butt Fishing Rod is a great choice for saltwater offshore trolling. It is made of solid E-glass graphite composite for strength and sensitivity and features high-quality roller guides and an extreme exposure reel seat. The bent butt and non-slip rubber shrink tube handle provide comfort and a solid grip, while the gimbal cross on the bottom of the rod butt allows for use with rod holders or fighting chairs. This rod is ideal for marlin, yellowfin tuna, and wahoo. It comes with a one-year warranty against defects.
- Solid construction for durability and strength
- High-quality roller guides for smooth line flow
- Extreme exposure reel seat for increased stability
- Bent butt and non-slip rubber shrink tube handle for comfort and grip
- Excellent design for Marlin, Yellowfin Tuna, and record Wahoo
- Powerful glatech blank construction for backbone and lifting power
- Spiral metal connection for tightness and strength
- Gimbal cross on the bottom of rod butt for rod holders or fighting chairs
- Alignment groove at the connection of rod to prevent rotation
6. St. Croix Mojo – Best Salt Conventional Rod
The St. Croix Mojo Salt Conventional Rod is a great option for those looking for a reliable and durable saltwater trolling rod. Featuring durable construction and a versatile design, this rod is perfect for a variety of fishing applications. With a versatile action and a powerful blank, the Mojo Salt Conventional Rod is a great choice for anglers of all levels.
The Mojo Salt series of rods from St. Croix are designed specifically for saltwater fishing, featuring a proprietary blend of SCII carbon with FRS technology and linear S-glass. This dynamic formula produces a lightweight and durable rod that is perfect for boat fishing, pier fishing, and jetty fishing. The rod is also outfitted with Sea Guide boat rod guides with aluminum-oxide rings and corrosion-resistant SS304 black frames, a Fuji DPSH boat rod reel seat, and a Fuji gimbal on MH and H power models. The Mojo Salt series of rods come with a 5-year warranty backed by St. Croix Superstar Service.
- IPC mandrel technology for increased accuracy
- ART technology for added strength
- Fuji DPSH reel seat for increased comfort
- Fuji gimbal for increased stability
- Kigan hook-keeper for added security
- Underwraps on guides for added protection
- Dual Flex-Coat finish for increased durability
- 5-year warranty for peace of mind
- Lightweight and durable for increased portability
- Designed in the USA for saltwater anglers worldwide
7. Fiblink Saltwater Heavy Trolling – Best Heavy Roller Rod
The Fiblink Saltwater Fishing Trolling Rod is a heavy roller rod that is perfect for saltwater trolling. The rod is made of high-quality materials and is designed for durability and strength. The Fiblink Saltwater Fishing Trolling Rod is a great choice for anglers who want a reliable and durable rod that can handle the challenges of saltwater fishing.
Fiblink Saltwater Fishing Trolling Rod is the perfect choice for anglers who demand the best in terms of strength, sensitivity, and durability. The combination of carbon and fiberglass blanks results in a trolling rod that is incredibly strong yet still sensitive enough to feel even the smallest bites. The heavy duty stainless steel roller guides are smooth and durable, while the high density EVA handles provide comfort and a great grip, even when wet. The aluminum reel seat with corrosion resistant stainless steel hoods keeps your reel safe and steady, while the strong aluminum cross-shaped butt with cap provides great leverage during long battles. The unique 2 piece design makes it easy and affordable to fit in a car, trunk, or boat, and the Fiblink 1 Year warranty against any defects means you can buy with confidence.
- Heavy duty construction
- Sensitive and strong
- Roller guides for smooth fishing
- EVA handles for comfort
- Aluminum reel seat
- Cross-shaped butt for leverage
- 2-piece design for easy transport
- 1-year warranty
- 3 different class weights available
- Includes rod protection bag
Usage of Saltwater Trolling Rod
Saltwater trolling rods are designed for use in saltwater environments. They are typically made from materials that are resistant to corrosion, such as stainless steel or aluminum. Saltwater trolling rods are often used to troll for fish, which is a method of fishing where the bait is dragged behind the boat.
Advantage of a Taller Saltwater Trolling Rod
A taller saltwater trolling rod has several advantages over a shorter rod. First, it provides more leverage when fighting fish. This is especially important when battling larger fish such as tuna or marlin. Second, a taller rod is less likely to get tangled in the line. This is a common problem with shorter rods, as the line can easily become wrapped around the rod during the fight. Finally, a taller rod is more sensitive to the bite, making it easier to detect when a fish is on the line.
Care And Maintenance
Assuming you are talking about a saltwater trolling rod, there are a few things you can do to maintain it and keep it in good condition.
- First, make sure to rinse off the rod with fresh water after each use, especially if it was used in saltwater. This will help to prevent corrosion and rust.
- Second, regularly inspect the rod for any cracks, chips, or other damage. If any damage is found, repair or replace the damaged parts as soon as possible to prevent further damage.
- Third, apply a light coating of oil to the rod after each use. This will help to protect the rod from the elements and keep it looking new.
By following these simple steps, you can help to ensure that your saltwater trolling rod lasts for many years to come.
What to look for while buying a Saltwater Trolling Rod
When it comes to saltwater trolling, there are a few key factors that you need to take into account in order to choose the right trolling rod.
When it comes to trolling, you want a rod with fast action. This will help you to keep your bait in the water column and prevent it from getting snagged on the bottom.
The power of your trolling rod will also need to be taken into account. This is the amount of pressure the rod can handle. Choose a rod with power that matches the type of fish you plan on catching.
The length of your rod will depend on the type of trolling you plan on doing. For instance, if you are trolling from a boat, you will need a longer rod so that you can reach the fish. However, if you are trolling from the shore, a shorter rod will be just fine.
When choosing a trolling rod, you will also need to take into account the line rating. This is the maximum weight of line that the rod can handle. Make sure to choose a rod with a line rating that matches the type of fishing you plan on doing.
Trolling rods are usually made from either graphite or fiberglass. Graphite rods are usually lighter and more sensitive, while fiberglass rods are more durable. Choose the material that best suits your needs.
Trolling rods can range in price from very affordable to quite expensive. It is important to choose a rod that fits your budget and your fishing needs.
When choosing a trolling rod, be sure to find one that comes with a good warranty. This will protect you in case the rod breaks or is defective in any way.
Now that you know the key factors to look for when choosing a trolling rod, you will be able to find the perfect one for your needs. Be sure to take your time and make an informed decision so that you can enjoy many years of successful trolling.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What are the benefits of using a saltwater trolling rod?
A. There are several benefits to using a saltwater trolling rod, including the ability to more easily control the bait, increased accuracy when casting, and increased sensitivity when biting fish are detected.
Q. What type of fishing line should be used with a saltwater trolling rod?
A. The type of fishing line that should be used with a saltwater trolling rod depends on the type of fish that you are targeting. For example, if you are targeting bigger game fish, then you will need a heavier fishing line. However, if you are targeting smaller fish, then you can use a lighter fishing line.
Q. What are some of the features that saltwater trolling rods typically have?
A. Saltwater trolling rods typically have several features that make them ideal for trolling, including a longer length for increased leverage, a heavier weight for increased sensitivity, and a higher quality construction for increased durability.
Q. When can you use a saltwater trolling rod?
A. A saltwater trolling rod can be used in any situation where you are trolling for fish. This includes trolling from a boat or from the shore.
The saltwater trolling rod is an excellent choice for those who are looking for a versatile and durable rod. It is perfect for both saltwater and freshwater fishing, and it can withstand the harshest of conditions. This rod is a great choice for those who want a versatile and durable rod that can handle both saltwater and freshwater fishing.