Baittcasters are often considered complex, but with enough passion, anyone can use them to catch fish. However, to be on the safe side, I usually recommend beginners to purchase baitcasting rods under $100 and upgrade after gaining more experience.
If you own a baitcasting reel and you are looking for a rod to complete the setup with a casting rod, you are in the right place. In this article, I will provide you with the best casting rods in your budget. All the rods inthis list are of high-quality, despite their lower prices. Here is a summary of the baitcasting rods on this guide.
Top 6 Best Baitcasting Rods Comparison Table
|Ugly Stik GX2||Medium||5’6”||Blend, graphite, and fiberglass|
|St. Croix Triumph||Medium/Heavy||6’||Premium SCII graphite construction|
|KastKing Royale||Medium/heavy||7’3”||24-ton carbon matrix construction|
|Abu Garcia Vengeance||Medium/heavy||7’||24-ton high modulus graphite construction|
|Berkley Cherrywood HD Casting Rod||Medium||5’6”||Composite|
|Favorite Fishing USA Defender||Medium-Heavy||7’0”||Carbon fiber and graphite blend|
Why Choose Baitcasting Rods
Well, the main reason you will need to buy a baitcasting rod is if you own a baitcasting reel or plan to own one. There are two major casting techniques; spincasting and baitcasting. Spincasting is for spinning reels, while baitcasting is for baitcasters. Both techniques are great and have many benefits. Here are the benefits of baitcasting over spincasting:
- Baitcasters have a better precision compared to spincasting.
- You can cast almost anything with a baitcaster, from live baits to heavier lures.
- Baitcasting reels usually have a higher gear ratio, so you can expect fast retrieval speeds.
- Baitcasting is the perfect option if you plan to catch larger fish, especially the fighting ones. The technique gives you more control over the rod and an upper hand over the fish.
- Baitcasters handle challenging fishing conditions better than spinning reels. For example, if your fishing location is full of lily pads, a baitcaster will do a better job.
Features to Look for While Choosing a Quality Baitcasting Rod
Buying a baitcasting rod can be as easy as going to a fishing store, and taking the baitcasting rod, you are first offered. It is an easy way, but not the right one. To select the right fishing rod, you need to consider several features, including:
The fishing rod’s length plays a significant role in determining the casting distance and accuracy of the cast. The right length will mostly be determined by the type of fish you plan to catch.If you plan to catch smaller or medium fish, a shorter to medium length rod will do you justice. For example, if you plan to catch bass, an 8-foot rod is an excellent length.
Your fishing location will also determine your rod’s length requirement. For example, if you plan to catch fish in an alpine creek, a longer rod will be handy.
Shorter rods are often more accurate, but they don’t cast over longer distances like their longer counterparts. That said, a shorter fishing rod may be handy if you plan to fish in a stream or river with overgrown shrubs. In such places, accuracy is vital.
A rod’s weight is normally determined by the material used. For example, graphite rods are usually light despite being very strong. There have come other quality and lightweight materials in recent years, including graphite blend and carbon fiber.
Since you will be holding the fishing rod most of the time while fishing, you should always consider buying a lightweight rod. That way, you won’t always leave the fishing location feeling too tired even to do anything else.
For smaller fish, consider buying a baitcasting rod weighing about two pounds. If you plan to fish in deep rivers or lakes, a rod with a little more weight will be ideal.
The power of a fishing rod is simply the amount of force required to bend it. Power options range from ultralight, light, heavy, to ultra-heavy. For larger fish like catfish, you should choose a heavy or even ultra-heavy power rod. For bass fishing, choose medium/heavy power rods. Choose ultralight power fishing rods if you plan to catch smaller fish like panfish and trout.
The action of a fishing rod is the term used to describe the flexing of a fishing rod once you apply force on it. A fishing rod’s action plays a vital role while casting. Also, it determines the sensitivity of the fishing rod. The sensitivity of the rod tip is especially important if you plan to catch smaller fish.
Rod’s actions are categorized into heavy, light, and medium. For smaller fish, I recommend using a light power rod. You can use a rod with medium action for both smaller and larger fish. If you plan to buy just one fishing rod, I recommend buying one with medium action.
Frame and Materials
The material of a fishing rod determines the cost and weight of a fishing rod. Some materials are lighter than others, and others are costlier. Each material has its pros and cons, so it is essential to consider both before concluding.
Typically, two of the most used materials for fishing rods are graphite and fiberglass. Graphite is lightweight, strong, and sensitive. Most high-end baitcasting rods are made of graphite, and in most cases, they are slightly expensive.
Fiberglass is also lightweight and strong. It is relatively sensitive, and it comes at a lower cost. You can also find a fishing rod made of a blend of the two materials.
You will be holding the handles of the fishing rod for the most part while fishing. For that reason, you need to ensure that it is as comfortable as possible. You also need to ensure that the grip is firm such that it doesn’t end up slipping while battling a fish. A fishing rod with EVA foam handles with a split-grip is excellently comfortable, and the grip is firm enough. Premium-grade cork and rubber handles are also pretty impressive.
Other features you should look for while purchasing a fishing rod includes:
- The Packability of the fishing rod. If it is easy to pack and travel with, that’s a plus since you can use it while hiking and fish wherever you want.
- You should also consider the guides of the fishing rod. The inserts of the guides should be as smooth as possible to avoid wearing down the fishing line. Inserts made of aluminum oxide, silicon carbide, or ceramic are usually smooth enough.
- You should ensure the fishing rod feels balanced on your hands. If it is unbalanced, you can expect a lot of difficulties while casting.
- The responsiveness and sensitivity of the fishing rod
- The number of pieces that come with the rod.
7 Things to Consider Before Buying cheap Baitcasting Rods
Now that you know what to look for in a baitcasting rod, it’s time to look at some of the other features that should help you make a better decision. These factors include:
You should always remember that your comfort is the most important thing. Everything will be useless if you don’t feel comfortable using the fishing rod. When your rod is comfortable, casting becomes easier and fun. Fishing is supposed to be fun, so if the rod does not feel comfortable, don’t purchase it.
You need to ensure that the rod of your choice is worth its price. You don’t want to purchase a rod only for it to break after two weeks, do you? The easiest way to identify a durable fishing rod is by asking your fishing buddies the most durable fishing rod within your price range. Alternatively, you can get such information from trustworthy websites.
You must always ensure that the fishing rod of your choice will get the job done. For example, if you plan to catch cautious fish like trout, you should ensure that the rod does not hammer the lure into the water, scaring the fish. If it does that, it defeats its purpose.
Well, your budget should be the focal point of your considerations. You should first set aside the amount of money you plan to use for a fishing rod and then start looking for rods within that price range. For a beginner, I recommend purchasing budget friendly baitcasting rods.
Buying from a trusted brand fills a user with the confidence they are purchasing something of high-quality and worth the price. There are many brands for fishing rods, and among the most trusted ones are Abu Garcia, St. Croix, Fenwick, Shimano, and KastKing. Not to say other brands are not worth considering, though.
A warranty allows you to return a product if it develops a manufacturer’s problem within the warranted period. For example, if a fishing rod has a five-year warranty, you can return it to the manufacturer if it develops a manufacturer’s problem within five years after purchase.
Also, a long warranty may mean the manufacturer is confident with their product that it will last for a long time without problems. If you are torn between two or more rods, choose the one with the longest warranty.
The internet has made it easy for us to know what other people think about certain products. You can simply visit an online store like Amazon and look for the reviews section. Under the section, you will find honest reviews about the product, whether it is worth it or not. Alongside the reviews, users also provide ratings out of five, one being poor and five for excellent.
Finally, I think it is important to consider maintenance and repair costs. It is not worth it buying a fishing rod that you can’t repair or one that maintenance costs are too high. Choose a rod that has spare parts and maintenance needs readily available and relatively affordable price.
Now that you have everything to help you make a sound decision, allow me to dive into the list of the top baitcasting rod for the money.
The Best Baitcasting Rod for The Money
Hopefully, you will find a favorite in this list.
Ugly Stik GX2 Casting – Best Budget Baitcasting Rod
Ugly Stik is one of the finest rod brands, so you can expect high-quality products from them. The brand is usually an important consideration while purchasing a fishing rod, as you can be sure of a high-quality product and excellent customer support.
The Ugly Stik GX2 casting rod comes with a graphite construction, one of the finest materials for fishing rods. It is lightweight yet strong. It is also sensitive, and its guides will not wear down your fishing line. The guides are made of stainless steel, and you can use the rod with all types of fishing lines, including braided.
The casting rod is beautiful, and you can use it as a gift. Most people have reported it as easy to use, so you can consider purchasing it even as a beginner. The rod is versatile, and you use it to catch both large and smaller fish. Here are some of the features that come with it:
- Ugly Tech construction that involves a combination of fiberglass and graphite.
- Stainless steel guides that eliminate pop-outs and are excellently durable.
- Lightweight EVA grips for comfortable and non-slip grips
- Power: Medium power rod
- Length: 5’6”
- Number of pieces: one
- Line rating: eight to twenty pounds.
- Brand name: Ugly Stik
Ugly Stik GX2, one of the most affordable baitcasting rods, is made of an excellent combination of graphite and fiberglass. This means it gives you the high-end graphite feel at a lower cost, plus it is still strong and lightweight. The fishing rod is easy to use and comfortable, making it an excellent option even for beginners. The handle grip is fantastic, and not forgetting the excellent guides that will not ruin your line.
It is worth noting that the finger hook is at an acute angle, which may be a problem for some users. With the finger hook being at an acute angle, your index finger gets a bit squeezed, and this can lead to blisters after several casts. Still, it is a casting rod I recommend to all professional anglers.
St. Croix Triumph Casting Rod – Best Baitcasting Rod for the Money
St. Croix has made a name for itself as one of the best fishing products brands. They have provided us with some fantastic fishing rods, and the Triumph series does not disappoint. The rods in this series come in different lengths and power, but they are all of the same make.
Each rod is excellent and worth every dollar. You can use the medium action rod to catch larger fish weighing up to 50′ or smaller fish like trout. The rod tip is extremely sensitive, so you will always notice even when the smallest fish takes the bait.
The handles are pretty comfortable, and not forgetting they provide a firm grip that will give you an upper hand while battling a fish. The rods are assembled in Mexico, and they are among the finest you will find at the market for spending a moderate amount .
- Premium SCII graphite construction
- Premium-grade cork handle
- 5-year warranty
- Aluminum oxide inserts
- Weight: 0.14 kg
- Brand: St. Croix
- Color: satin grey
- Material: blend
- Suggested users: Adults, both male and female
- Length: from six feet
If you are looking for a high-quality casting rod costing, you should consider purchasing this St. Croix fishing rod. It comes with a graphite and fiberglass blend, so you can expect it to be lightweight, sensitive, and durable.
The premium-grade cork handle provides you with a tight and comfortable grip. With such a handle, you can battle a fish for up to 30 minutes without slipping.
It comes with a five-year warranty, so you can return it if it develops a manufacturer’s problem within five years after purchase. The guides’ inserts are made of aluminum oxide, one of the smoothest materials for the job. This means the guides will not have a lot of friction and will not wear down the fishing line.
However, it is worth noting that not all people were impressed by the rod’s packaging during delivery. Some individuals received a broken rod, which is a serious problem. Luckily, you can return it and get a replacement. With the majority of users impressed, it is worth considering.
KastKing Royale Select Fishing Rod – Best for Bass
KastKing has done it yet again, with this easy to use and durable casting rod. The reel seat is exceptionally comfortable, and the handle provides a firm and comfy grip. The locking mechanism that comes with it is excellent. It comes in various sizes, so you can choose the size you feel most comfortable using.
KastKing Royale Select Casting rod is lightweight and can cast over longer distances with excellent accuracy. It is also quite sensitive, so you can use it for smaller fish if that’s what you want.
- 24-ton carbon matrix construction
- Fuji fishing line guides
- A 2-piece fishing rod that performs like a 1-piece rod
- Weight: 1.5 kg (package weight)
- Power: Medium/heavy
- Rod Action: Fast
- Length: 7’3”
- Line rating: 10 to 20 pounds
KastKing always impresses us with its products, and that’s why they are ranked among the best fishing product brands. This time, they have impressed most users with the KastKing Royale fishing rod made of carbon fiber, a lightweight and durable construction.
The rod is easy to use and recommendable for beginners. The Fuji guides are smooth, and they allow superior casting distance as well as accuracy. The reel seat is made of high-quality nylon, and it is both comfortable and durable. It is worth every penny, and it will serve you well. I recommend it to all anglers.
You can also check our top class product review on The 7 Baitcasting Rods For Bass
Abu Garcia Vengeance Casting – Best Overall
Abu Garcia has provided us with some exceptional fishing rods, and they have done it again with the vengeance casting rod. The fishing rod is lightweight and comes with a 24-modulus graphite construction, making it both classy and sensitive.
The rod is beautiful and can cast over long distances without problems when you know how to do it right. The rod is pretty good with smaller to medium-sized fish, but some people have faced breakages with larger fish.
If you plan to catch smaller fish with your baitcaster, this one of the finest baitcasting rods you can find for that function
- 24-ton high modulus graphite construction for responsive and lightweight feel.
- Stainless steel guides with aluminum oxide inserts
- High-density EVA handles
- Compatible with a wide range of bait applications
- Weight: 0.2 kg
- Warranty: Manufacturer warranty
- Material: Blend
- Color: multiple colors
- Suggested users: Unisex-adults
- Size: 7.’
- Power: Medium/heavy
Abu Garcia vengeance casting rods is one of the finest options you will find for the price. It is compatible with various bait applications, from live baits to heavier lures. The rod has been termed as easy to use and pretty comfortable. The EVA grips are comfortable, and they provide you with an excellent grip while battling a fish.
The stainless steel guides with aluminum oxide inserts are smooth and durable. They will not affect your line or casting, whether you are using monofilament, fluorocarbon, or braided line.
However, there have been some complaints about the fishing rod’s durability, especially if you use it to catch larger fish. Several people have complained that their rods broke while battling a fish.
That said, I would recommend it to people planning to catch smaller fish and medium-sized ones. It is an excellent rod, and it is worth the price.
Berkley Cherrywood HD Casting Rod-Cheap Baitcaster Rods
Berkley may not be a bigger name like St. Croix, KastKing, and Ugly Stik, but it is a company you can always count on, especially if you are looking for affordable casting rods. In most cases, to get a good casting rod, you are required to use at least 70 dollars. Well, Berkley gives you a chance to own a casting rod for as low as 30 dollars.
Their rods are quite affordable and don’t let this low price make you think that they are not worth it. Most people think that products that come at a lower price are often of the least quality, but that’s not the case here. Check out some of its features to help you make an informed decision.
- Hybrid construction for excellent sensitivity and responsiveness
- Stainless steel guides
- Cork handles
- Weight: 0.13 kg
- Warranty Description: Manufacturer’s warranty
- Material: Composite
- Suggested users: Adults, Unisex
- Length: 5’6”
- Power: Medium
- Number of pieces: one
Berkley Cherrywood is for all skill levels, meaning both beginners and experienced anglers can use it. The handle is quite comfortable and provides a firm grip to help you battle fighting fish and land it on your boat with ease. The stainless steel guides are durable, and they will not wear down your fishing line.
Berkley Cherrywood is compatible with all types of lines, plus it is quite strong and durable. It is versatile, and you use it to catch both larger and smaller fish. One of the major complaints about the rod was poor packaging leading to breakages during delivery. But all said and done, the rod is excellent. It will be a great rod to start your baitcasting journey with. If you want to purchase the rod and reel combo within your budget, you may check our content on Top Baitcasting Combo under 150 Dollars
Favorite Fishing USA Defender –Perfect for Gifts
One thing you must always consider while purchasing a casting rod is its comfort. It will be useless to buy a durable and expensive rod if you don’t feel comfortable using it. Well, the Favorite Fishing USA Defender is one of the most comfortable fishing rods.
The fishing rod is lightweight, easy to use, and exceptionally beautiful. If you have wanted to buy a fishing rod gift for someone, this one will make a perfect combination.
Favorite Fishing customer support is excellent, and if you have any questions, they are always happy to answer. Some people say this rod is in the same class as high-end casting rods that cost over 150 dollars. Here are some of its features:
- Carbon fiber and graphite blend
- Patriotic color honoring the military
- Fast Action
- Weight: 0.5 pounds
- Brand name: Favorite Fishing USA
- Power: Medium-Heavy
- Length: 7’0”
- Number of pieces: one
Favorite Fishing USA has provided us with one of the finest fishing rods you will find for with your budget or below. The rod is beautiful and easy to use, that even beginners can use it. The handles are comfortable, and when there is a fight between you and a fish, your chances of triumphing are way higher.
The carbon fiber, graphite blend makes the fishing rod lightweight and durable, giving it a high-end feel despite costing much less. Most people complain about packaging when they order things online, but the USA Defender casting rod is well-packaged, and it will arrive home safe and sound. The rod is worth every dollar, and I recommend it to all anglers, both beginners and experienced ones.
Care Maintenance for Baitcasting Rods
Buying a high-quality baitcasting rod is great, but that is not enough to make it last for years. If you don’t take proper care of yours, it will not matter how much you used to buy it because it will not live up to its expectation. Luckily, taking care of a fishing rod is not hard, and everyone should be able to do it. First, it is vital to clean your fishing rod regularly. Here is what you will need to clean your fishing rod:
- A hose set
- A cotton swab
Now that you have everything necessary, here is how to clean your rod.
- Separate the fishing reel and rod to clean them separately. Pour water with the hose set and use the detergent and cotton swab to clean the fishing rod’s outer parts. If you fish a lot in saltwater, clean your fishing gear even more regularly.
- Use a soft-bristled brush to clean the reel seat, and don’t use too much force. Use the cotton swab to wipe the reel seat and rinse it at least twice with clean, freshwater.
- Separate the rod if it has two or more parts. Dib the cotton swab in alcohol and clean the parts of the rod with it. The ferrules are typically prone to dirt, and it is crucial to clean them regularly.
- Examine the guides for scratches or nicks while cleaning. If there are any nicks or scratches on your rod, have the rod repaired as soon as possible. The scratches may look small, but they can cause havoc to your fishing line. They will lead to more friction, leading to wearing down the fishing line.
Other Care Maintenance Tips to Keep in Mind
Cleaning your fishing gear after a few trips to the sea is essential, but it is still not enough to keep your gear at its best conditions. To increase your gear’s lifetime, here are other care maintenance tips to keep in mind.
- Always examine your fishing gear before going out. That way, you will always be prepared if you notice a problem with the gear. For example, if your fishing line has been exposed to the sunlight for far too long, you should replace it before going out. It’s wise to replace it early than wait for it to break while battling a fish.
- Protect your fishing rod while traveling. Please come up with a permanent solution for packing and traveling with your rod if you move around a lot while fishing. For example, you can purchase a rod carrier, which will always ensure your fishing rod is safe while traveling.
- Get yourself a rod rack. Rod racks will prevent accidental breaks and snags. Don’t just toss the rod in the boat; install rod racks on it and store the rod the right way.
- Carry one rod at a time to be on the safe side. If you have to carry several, then buy a multi-rod carrier.
- Store the fishing rod in a rod case after you are done fishing
Dos and Don’ts of Fishing Reel and Rods
To make your maintenance even easier, here are some of the things you should do and not do with your fishing rod and reel.
- Clean your rod and reel after every use, especially if you fish in saltwater.
- Always tighten the drag while cleaning your reel.
- Store your fishing gear in a cool and dry place.
- Have your fishing gear regularly serviced by a professional
- Lubricate the moving parts of the fishing gear.
- Carry the fishing rod with the rod tip pointing behind you to reduce the risk of digging the tip into the ground.
- Don’t pressure wash your fishing gear.
- Don’t submerge the fishing reel while cleaning it.
- Don’t hang the hooks or lures from the rod guides to prevent scratching the inserts.
- Never lean your rod on the side of the car.
- Don’t store the fishing rod by simply leaning it on the corner of your house.
Tips to Catch More Fish
Now that you have everything you need to catch fish, follow these tips to catch even more fish. The tips work for all types of fish, whether you want to catch trout, bass, or salmon.
- Use sharp and high-quality hooks. A sharp hook will catch a fish with the first bite, increasing your chances of retrieving it to the boat.
- Consider the fish density in your fishing location. For example, if you plan to catch trout, your chances of catching more are higher if you fish in a location with plenty of them. Do some research about your fishing location and fish where there is plenty of fish of choice.
- Consider the weather. For example, trouts are cold fish, meaning they are often where the water is the coldest. If it is sunny, the water at the top surface will be warmer, meaning trouts will be deep down. If it’s winter, you can find trout at the middle surface or even at the top.
- Consider buying lures designed for the type of fish you plan to catch.
Frequently Asked Questions about Affordable Baitcasting Rods
I’ve probably covered all there is to cover about the best affordable casting rods, but you may still have some questions. Here are some of the frequently asked questions about baitcasting rod.
What is Baitcasting Rods Used For?
Baitcasting rods are used with baitcasters (baitcasting reels). The two works together to complete a fishing setup, which uses the baitcasting technique to catch fish. Baitcasting is often preferred by anglers who want to land larger fish and cast over longer distances.
What is the Best Casting Rod Under 100 dollars?
There are many exceptional baitcasting rods under hundred dollars, but my top pick is the Ugly Stik GX2 casting rod. The rod is beginner-friendly, easy to use, lightweight, and comfortable. It is also worth every dollar.
Do I Need a Special Rod for My Baitcaster Reel?
A baitcaster should be used with a casting rod. You can still use a spinning rod, but it is not advisable.
A Final Note For Beginners
If you are new to baitcasting, I think you will be happy to know you are not the only one finding it extremely difficult to cast a baitcasting reel. It takes some time to learn, and you should not give up yet. Once you get used to baitcasting, you will see all the hard work is worth it. To avoid frustrations, first practice how to cast in your backyard before going out.
Thank you for reading through this guide. Hopefully, you will find a darling casting rod in the above list. Stay tuned for more informative articles.